In Card making...and Life...Practice Make Perfect

Thinking of you warms my heart
I wish I had made a copy of my very first Handmade card. I was so proud. It was so simple, but I had made it. Back then, I did not realize how many products and techniques were out in the card making world. All waiting for me to give them a try. I think as I have progressed, I have become bolder, more confident in my card making skills. I am not afraid to try new things. Take Digi stamps. Yes, I have seen what beautiful work other card makers do. I thought this was something I would not get into. I felt I did not have the skill or the tools (Copic Markers) to try this coloring technique. But when I joined the Design Team for Suzy Bee's Bloomin' Challenges, guess what, some of the challenges use Digi Stamps. I knew if I just had some time to practice, I could make my cards look...well acceptable. So that is what I did. Now, I could not very well go out and buy a full set of Copic Markers. Well, I guess I could, but then I would have to explain why we were having Campbell's soup for dinner for the next couple of weeks. But I did have colored pencils. You Tube has some great videos on how to get a Copic marker look with colored pencils.

The pencil set I have is nothing fancy. I got them at Michaels. It is a 48 piece set by Artist's Loft. Upon doing my research on line, I found that by using Gamsol, which is an odorless Mineral Spirit, you can blend your colors. The liquid results in an almost watercolor-like look. It essentially melts the pencil lines and erased the grainy appearance you typically get with colored pencils. Now this technique is made for colored pencils, not water pencils. So make sure you check what type of pencils you have. You will also need assorted blending stumps and a cleaning tool. These are used to blend your colors and clean your blending tool.They can be found at any crafts or Art store.

Basically, you color your image with colored pencils, outlining your image with the darker color and shading with the lighter color. Then you take your blending tool, dip it into the gamsol and with light pressure use circular motions to pull the darker colors towards the center of the image. This will give you a shaded appearance. I was very happy with this card. I have been practicing for a few weeks now and get more confident as I go along. As I said, practice make perfect...or at least better.

Have fun!

I have entered this card into the following challenges:




11 comments:

  1. Cute card, I use the alcohol pens a lot but love to use pencils as you described, I think the colours are richer, love what you have done with your pencils, thanks for joining us at Fat-tastic Tueday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous ! The colouring is super. Thanks for joining in Fat-tastic tuesday. We will be working together over at suzy bees x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful design, I love your background with the gems. thanks for sharing with us at Fat-Tastic Tuesday. Hope to see you again. Good luck. Caz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Monica,
    Beautiful design, I love the colors you chose and awesome image. Thanks for joining us at Fat-Tastic Tuesdays this week,hope to see you next week
    Hugs
    Lisa O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monica,
    Well just walked in the door after my night shift, and seeing your gorgeous card cheered me up no end .......it is so pretty, and I do love pink.... thank you for joining us over at Fat-Tastic Tuesday, and we hope you join in with the funa again next week.
    Hugs
    Suzy B
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely card. Cute image. Thanks for joining LUFP linking party.

    Hugs
    Joanie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling card and love the sweet image!!!
    Thanks for joining our linking party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is super cute. I am very glad you entered this week at LUFP. I hope you had fun!!! See you back very soon to play in another fun challenge. Remember to get the girls checked and remind a friend! :-) Together we can beat Breast Cancer!!!

    TTFN,

    CraftyGirl
    craftygirlcardsandcrafts.blogspot.com
    Link Up For Pink DT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute--love the image!

    Thanks so much for joining us in at the {Pin}Spirational Challenge this week—Good Luck and we hope to see you in future challenges too! Barb—DT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic Card! I love the image and design. Thank you for sharing with TTCRD this week.

    ReplyDelete

Featured Post

Challeng Winners - February & March 2023

   Hello everyone. As you may have noticed, I have been MIA for the last couple of months. Life has been very busy and it has been difficult...